Saturday, September 26, 2009

Georgia on my mind


Now the saying goes that imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Being too shy to attend art classes and face possible ridicule, I decided to teach myself to paint by imitating great artists, like the wonderful "Red Canna" by Georgia O'Keefe, 1923, University of Arizona museum.

Of all the paintings I have done, this one presented an enormous amount of struggle. Her touch was gentle and confident, and I splattered and plastered to get a slightly similar effect. Looking back, the experience was funny and helped me appreciate true "seeing" of a subject.
There is an ebb and flow in her colours that I had much frustration in mimicking. This is one of the paintings that made me reach for a medium that I felt I had more control over, instead of the other way around.
Posted by Picasa
Post a Comment